Will Vince McMahon be the reason John Cena turns heel?
I’m gonna take you back to 1998. Stone Cold Steve Austin had just become the WWE Champion at WrestleMania 14, to the delight of the WWE Universe, but what happened shortly after put the audience in a bit of fear as it seemed Austin was set to become a “Corporate Champion”. Coming out to the ring in a suit, it seemed the champion was giving in to McMahon’s ways, when he turned on the chairman, gave him a Stone Cold Stunner, and left the ring with the championship in hand.
Fast forward to 2001. The main event at WrestleMania 17, Stone Cold Steve Austin was pulling out all the stops to become the WWE Champion. When it seemed impossible for Austin to defeat The Rock in what many called one of the greatest matches in WrestleMania history, out comes Vince McMahon to do what many thought he would do, which is cause Stone Cold the match by interfering. Instead, we saw what none of us expected, when Stone Cold Steve Austin paired up with McMahon in an effort to defeat The Rock for the title. The alliance between Austin and McMahon was a complete swerve to the WWE audiences, who loved Austin for how much he despised McMahon and how much hell he put his boss through.
Now, let’s come back to the present. The WWE Champion is John Cena. In 2012, Cena spent the entire year unsuccessfully challenging CM Punk for the championship, and despite his best efforts, he came up short. At the Royal Rumble, Cena won yet another shot at the title by winning the Royal Rumble match and went on to defeat The Rock for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania. The victory wasn’t exactly heralded by the WWE Universe, but the fact remained that Cena fought with everything that he had to defeat the champion and after the worst year of his WWE career, finally came out on top.
The WWE has recently been shaken completely off of its foundation by a 5’9” wildcat named Daniel Bryan. The WWE audiences love to root for the underdog, and right now, the underdog is Daniel Bryan. At least, that’s how it seems it should be, but instead, Daniel Bryan has instilled a faith in himself from the WWE Universe with his tenacity, his passion, and his strong efforts in becoming the best player on the WWE roster. By breaking away from Kane, defeating members of the Shield, defeating Randy Orton, and successfully defeating Jack Swagger, Antonio Cesaro, and Ryback (three in a row, I might add), Bryan has established himself as a top contender in the WWE ranks. This was made all the more evident by the fact that when General Manager Brad Maddox offered John Cena the chance to pick his SummerSlam opponent, Cena listened to the WWE’s cries of “YES! YES! YES!” and went with their pick: Daniel Bryan.
Still, there were non-believers. When asked by Brad Maddox about his shot at Cena’s title, Maddox didn’t give Daniel a chance to speak. Even the WWE’s chairman, Vince McMahon, has stated that he doesn’t think Daniel Bryan has a chance to be the company’s top dog. Hell, last night on Raw, McMahon agreed that Daniel needed a company makeover (sound familiar?. Currently, McMahon has the kind of champion he wants representing the WWE. He’s handsome, big, strong, solid worker, the kids love him, the moms love him, he sells t-shirts, he’s everything a WWE Champion should be, by corporate standards.
With that being said, one can’t help but wonder what’s on John Cena’s mind. In the mind of the champion, he’s giving one of the WWE’s most fierce competitors a shot at the championship gold he spent an entire year trying to earn back. Not only is he giving the superstar a chance at the gold, but he’s giving him a shot at the title while Bryan is in the hottest streak of his career. The WWE Universe has stated that they believe in Daniel Bryan, and how often has the WWE Universe picked a champion that didn’t exceed expectations, despite the odds? (See: Shawn Michaels).
At this point, I can’t help but wonder… will John Cena side with Vince McMahon and turn his back on the WWE Universe? Think about it, in 2001, it seemed like Stone Cold Steve Austin had done everything in his power to defeat The Rock and couldn’t get the job done, until in came McMahon. Will that be the case at SummerSlam?
Or, will Daniel Bryan become the corporate champion material that McMahon hopes for him to be? That’s highly unlikely, especially considering Bryan’s current t-shirt design references his caveman beard. When I think about Cena’s position in the company and how hard he struggled to get to that point, it makes me wonder if Cena would do anything to keep that title. After all, it was John Cena who just had to battle the massive Ryback through two tough matches, why would he subject himself to a bigger fight with a smaller dog?
To me, it makes sense that John Cena would side with Vince McMahon come SummerSlam. If Daniel Bryan is the fighter that we know him to be, he’s going to come at Cena like he’s never come at anything in his career to capture the WWE Championship. Don’t be surprised if it seems like the champion is in peril and out walks the chairman!
- shanemcmahonsjerseys likes this
- papalimadeltapld likes this
- wwetotaldivas likes this
- wwetotaldivas reblogged this from allthingscenationapproved
- 10yearsstrong likes this
- ikilledjasontodd likes this
- anotherkindofshakespeare reblogged this from jeannevonbleue
- cgsblog reblogged this from shitloadsofwrestling
- mangu-nation likes this
- shoo-chan likes this
- allons-y-aaron likes this
- kman3115 reblogged this from shitloadsofwrestling and added:
- terryisover9000 said:Dude, love your blog, been loving everything you posted! Idk how you feel about B/R, but posts like these makes me believe you could better than more than half the columnists that writes for the WWE section on bleacher. Great read!
- jeannevonbleue reblogged this from thedoctorfallsnomore24
- jeannevonbleue likes this
- introspectivemeltdown reblogged this from shitloadsofwrestling and added:
- thedoctorfallsnomore24 reblogged this from shitloadsofwrestling and added:
- thedoctorfallsnomore24 likes this
- chris-jericho-baby likes this
- cenationarmyleader reblogged this from shitloadsofwrestling
- matt-classic likes this
- ballershots likes this
- zebitarianism likes this
- jinglebellwalkwithme likes this
- gamingking reblogged this from shitloadsofwrestling
- sadddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd likes this
- hansoulohoe likes this
- roadsaltwild likes this
- allthingscenationapproved reblogged this from shitloadsofwrestling
- allthingscenationapproved likes this
- adrianpeterson reblogged this from sethmetal
- vanitymayhem reblogged this from shitloadsofwrestling
- cmdrunkhasleft likes this
- lostinthisfantasy likes this
- shitloadsofwrestling posted this